||UNITS in (MPS)
||UNITS in (KTS)
- Ripples with the appearance of scales are formed but without foam crests.
- Small wavelets, still short but more pronounced.
- Crest have glassy appearance and do not break.
- Small waves, becoming longer.
- Fairly frequent white horses.
- Moderate waves taking a more pronounced long form.
- Many white horses are formed-a change of some spray.
- Large waves begin to form.
- Sea heaps up and white foam from breaking waves begin to be blown in streaks along the direction of wind.
| Very Rough
- Moderately high waves of greater length.
- Edges of crest begin to break into spindrift.
- Foam is blown in well-mark streaks along the direction of the wind.
- High to very high waves with long overhanging crests.
- The surface of the sea takes on white appearance.
- The thumbling of the sea becomes heavy with visibility affected.
| Very High
- Exeptionally high waves.
- Small and medium size ships occasionally lost from view behind waves.
- The sea is completely covered with long white patches of foam.
- The edges of wave crest are blown into froth.
- The air is completely filled with foam and spray.
- Sea completely white with driving spray.
- Visibility very seriously affected.