Severe Tropical Storm "Betty"
Issued at 05:00 pm, 01 June 2023
(Valid for broadcast until the next advisory to be issued at 11:00 PM today)
“BETTY” STEADILY WEAKENS AND IS NOW OUTSIDE THE PHILIPPINE AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Heavy Rainfall Outlook
- As BETTY continues to move away from country, the Southwest Monsoon will become the dominant rain-causing system in the country within the day. Under these conditions, flooding and rain-induced landslides are possible, especially in areas that are highly or very highly susceptible to these hazard as identified in hazard maps and in localities that experienced considerable amounts of rainfall for the past several days. For more information on the areas affected by occasional to frequent rains from the Southwest Monsoon enhanced by BETTY, refer to the Weather Advisory #7 for Southwest Monsoon issued at 11:00 AM today.
- Severe Winds
- In the next 24 hours, the enhanced Southwest Monsoon will bring occasional to frequent wind gusts over northern Cagayan including Babuyan Islands, Ilocos Region, Cordillera Administrative Region, Central Luzon, Metro Manila, CALABARZON, Bicol Region, MIMAROPA, Western Visayas, Northern Samar and the northern portion of Samar.
- HAZARDS AFFECTING COASTAL WATERS
- Under the influence of Severe Tropical Storm BETTY and the enhanced Southwest Monsoon, a marine gale warning remains in effect over the northern seaboards of Northern Luzon, the eastern seaboard of Luzon, and the western seaboard of Southern Luzon. For more information, refer to Gale Warning #11 issued at 5:00 PM today.
- TRACK AND INTENSITY OUTLOOK
- Severe Tropical Storm BETTY will continue to gradually accelerate northward or north northeastward until this afternoon before beginning to turn northeastward or east northeastward over the waters near the Ryukyu Islands. On the track forecast, BETTY will leave the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) this afternoon. Outside the PAR, the severe tropical storm may make landfall or pass very close to Okinawa Island tonight or tomorrow early morning.
- BETTY is forecast to steadily weaken throughout the forecast period due to lower sea surface temperature of the sea surrounding the Ryukyu Islands. The severe tropical storm may be downgraded to tropical storm category on Saturday, although a faster weakening rate remains possible within the forecast period.
The center of Severe Tropical Storm BETTY was estimated based on all available data at 570 km Northeast of Itbayat, Batanes (24.3 °N, 125.9 °E )
Moving North Northeastward at 15 km/h
Maximum sustained winds of 95 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 115 km/h
- Jun 02, 2023 02:00 AM - 880 km Northeast of Extreme Northern Luzon (OUTSIDE PAR)
- Jun 02, 2023 02:00 PM - 1,190 km Northeast of Extreme Northern Luzon (OUTSIDE PAR)
Considering these developments, the public and disaster risk reduction and management offices concerned are advised to take all necessary measures to protect life and property. Persons living in areas identified to be highly or very highly susceptible to these hazards are advised to follow evacuation and other instructions from local officials. For heavy rainfall warnings, thunderstorm/rainfall advisories, and other severe weather information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local PAGASA Regional Services Division.